Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Week 7 Story: Always Ready To Help

On one fine weekday, Jethabhai's alarm goes off, he gets up, and gets dressed to go to the dukaan (store). After getting ready, he comes out to the dining area and asks Dayabhabhi for breakfast. Dayabhabhi serves it to him, he eats it, and he gets up to leave for the dukaan. Just as he saying that he is leaving, Bapuji and Tapu come there and Bapuji says, "Arre ruk, Jethia. Hum bhi tere saath aa rahe hai. Bahu, mein apne doston ko milne jaa raha hoon Nana-Nani Park aur Tapu college jaa raha hai." ("Wait, Jethia. We are coming with you. Daya, I am going to see my friends at Nana-Nani Park, and Tapu is going to college.")

All three of them (Bapuji, Jethabhai, and Tapu) say "Jai Jinendra" ("Bye.") to Dayabhabhi and leave.

As they are coming down the stairs, Jethabhai spots a rickshaw coming towards them, and Jethabhai says to Bapuji, "Arre yeh dekhiye, Bapuji, ricksha bhi idhar hi mil gayi." ("Look, Bapuji, we got a rickshaw right here in the society compound.")

Bapuji says, "Haan." ("Yes.")

The rickshaw stops and Jethabhai sees Mehtasaab getting out. Jethbhai asks, "Arre Mehtasaab. Kahaan se aa rahe itni subeh subeh?" ("Mehtasaab, where are you coming from so early in the morning?")

Mehtasaab responds, "Kalam ki refill lene gaya tha, lekin meri chhodiye, Gada parivaar ke teen peedhiya ek saath kahaan jaa rahe hai?" ("I went to get a refill for my pen, but forget me, where are the three generations of the Gada family going?")

Jethabhai responds, "Mein dukaan jaa raha hoon, Bapuji apne doston ko milne Nana-Nani Park jaa rahe hai, aur Tapu college jaa raha hai." ("I am going to dukaan, Bapuji is going to see his friends at Nana-Nani Park, and Tapu is going to college.")

Mehtasaab says, "Theek hai. Jaayye, aap ko late ho raha hoga. Shaam ko milte hai, Jethalal. Jai Jinendra, Chachaji." ("Ok. Go then, you're probably getting late. I'll see you later, Jethalal. Bye, Uncle.")

Bapuji responds to Mehtasaab, "Jai Jinendra." ("Bye.")

Jethabhai then says, "Chaliye, Bapuji. Aaja, Tapuda." ("Let's go, Bapuji. Come, Tapu.")

And then they leave.

Later in the dukaan, Jethabhai receives an invitation to go to an electronic exhibition in Kerala. He has his flight the next morning at seven, for which he will have to reach the airport at five. After coming home, he tells Dayabhabhi, Tapu, and Bapuji about it.

Bapuji says, "Jethia, tu airport jaayega kaise? Ek kaam karna, tu soda peene jaayega, to Sodhi ko puchh lena koi taxi waale ke liye." ("Jethia, how will you get to the airport? Do this, when you go to drink soda, ask Sodhi for a taxi driver.")

Jethabhai responds, "Kal ke liye taiyaari karni hai toh soda peene to nahi jaaunga, lekin mein Sodhi ke saath phone pe baat karlunga." ("I have to prepare for tomorrow, so I'm not going to drink soda, but I'll talk to Sodhi on the phone.")

Later, Jethabhai calls Sodhi and asks about a taxi driver. Sodhibhai says, "Mere hote hue taxi ki kya zaroorat hai?" ("What's the need for the taxi when I'm here?")

Jethabhai says, "Arre nahi bhai, tu kyun itni subeh subeh pareshaan ho raha hai?" ("No, no, why are you troubling yourself so early in the morning?")

Sodhibhai responds, "Mein kabhi dosto ke wajeh se pareshaan nahi hota, lekin agar tum taxi me gaye toh mein pareshaan ho jaaunga. Rab di saun, dosto ke liye jaan bhi haazir hai." ("I can never be troubled by doing things for my friends, but if you take a taxi, then I really will be troubled. I swear to God, I can sacrifice my life for my friends.")

And with this, Sodhibhai takes Jethabhai to the airport the next morning and Jethabhai is able to catch his flight on time.

***Author's Note: This was the best idea I could get from this week's reading. I wrote the first part of this story much better last semester, but this is all I could remember of it. The idea of this story came from when Lord Krishna lifted a mountain on one finger to save His fellow villagers from a huge flood sent by Lord Indra. Sodhibhai is always ready to help anyone in the society, as was Lord Krishna during His time.***

Click here for a reading guide for Sister Nivedita's Krishna.

Here's Sodhibhai and Roshanbhabhi!
Source: (Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment